Can someone help me learn Dutch?

Are you a native Dutch speaker and would you like to help people who are learning Dutch? Here, you can introduce yourself and let people know how you can help - for example through email, Skype, MSN, or live.
Nicky
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: United Kingdom
Mother tongue: English (Great Britain)
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: I learnt German at school but it was many years ago and I can't remember very much because sadly I didn't keep it up

Can someone help me learn Dutch?

Post by Nicky » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:08 am

Hello, my name is Nicky and I am from the UK. I want to learn Dutch because I hope I will live and work in the Netherlands one day. I have started to try and learn. In fact I've just done my first audio CD lesson in speaking Dutch and it didn't go well. My mouth just wouldn't make the right sounds, and my attempts at rolling my Rs were a joke. My boyfriend says that it would help me a lot getting in touch with people from the Netherlands, and I just wondered if there was anyone who would like to help me learn? I do an English Literature degree and edit a small magazine and would be more than happy to proof read and/or help with people's English in return.

Shazzy
Superlid
Mother tongue: English
Second language: Dutch

Re: Can someone help me learn Dutch?

Post by Shazzy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:06 pm

Hi Nikki
Where are you from? I live on the Isle of Wight and have been learning for 3.5 years now and today my teacher told me that My Dutch is very good. I origianlly learnt via The Dutch Language School in Oxford. I did three of their courses via correspondence and I must say Karin is such a fantastic teacher. Back in May I took my GCSE and came out with a B grade with an A for speaking. I would recommend their courses so if interested here is the link http://www.dutchlanguageschol.co.uk Also I have speaking lessons with yorien in holland via skype and she is fantastic and she also does email courses for beginners her details are http://www.sayitindutch.com

I am English so don't have a Dutch accent but would be very happy to help you and talk on skype if you like. Don't worry about the rolling r's everyone in holland does not do it and it does take some time to get prouncation correct I can tell you. I am now working for myt NT2 and studying by correspondence with NTI in Leiden. I would love us to be friends and would be willing to help you if you would like it. My mother was dutch but never brought us up to speak the language unfortunately so now that I am learning and can hold reasonable conversations I am well happy. Private Message me if you would like my personal email address. I am 52 but very young at heart :D They folk on this forum are brilliant and help me so much.

Shazzy

Fiekelianne
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German

Post by Fiekelianne » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:32 pm

Hi Nikki,
I am a 16 year old dutch girl and i would love to help you with your dutch.
I would love tho become a english teacher in the future so i really think we
can help each other.

Fieke

Shazzy
Superlid
Mother tongue: English
Second language: Dutch

Post by Shazzy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:24 am

Hello Fleke
I like to practice my Dutch as much as possible. May be we can be friends too but I am 52 years old. I am studying for my NT2. I live in the UK but studying with NTI in Leiden. Private message me if you are interested in chatting to me. I have a love for young people and have lots of young nieces and nephews around your age lol

Shazzy