I need some help with a short-sentence translation please!

Are you learning Dutch and looking for a native Dutch speaker to get some practice? Here, you can write something about yourself, your level of Dutch, your objectives, and your preferred means of communication (email, Skype, MSN, live, etc.).
Pang
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Thailand
Mother tongue: Thai
Second language: English (Great Britain)

I need some help with a short-sentence translation please!

Post by Pang » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:51 am

Hello guys!

I've just come across the following sentence on a Dutch website and I've put some effort on translating it. So far, I've still been in doubt if my translation is wrong. So I need your help to precisely give the correct translation into English.

The sentence is ;
"De club kwam zelf enkele maanden geleden met het verzoek mee te mogen doen."

It might sound like a usually simple sentence, but I need to know it for some investigations. I specifically have some doubt if the phrase "kwam zelf" has the meaning of "joined by themselves", "has come to contact (the organization etc.) by themselves" or has any other possible meanings. That is the crucial point for which I need to decipher. Anyway it could be very grateful if you guys could give me the full translation of the whole sentence.

Thank you in advance!

Pang
Nieuwkomer

Re: I need some help with a short-sentence translation please!

Post by Pang » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:21 pm

Any help please I need it for some investigation into a case. It is an important point to settle the dispute. I need to have a precise translation.

Thank you in advance !

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Post by ngonyama » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:20 pm

Pang wrote:Hello guys!

I've just come across the following sentence on a Dutch website and I've put some effort on translating it. So far, I've still been in doubt if my translation is wrong. So I need your help to precisely give the correct translation into English.

The sentence is ;
"De club kwam zelf enkele maanden geleden met het verzoek mee te mogen doen."

The club took it upon itself to request to be allowed to participate a few months ago
I do not accept any liability for the translation though. If you want a legally binding translation you should hire a translator who has sworn an oath. See: http://www.bureaubtv.nl/en/

It might sound like a usually simple sentence, but I need to know it for some investigations. I specifically have some doubt if the phrase "kwam zelf" has the meaning of "joined by themselves", "has come to contact (the organization etc.) by themselves" or has any other possible meanings. That is the crucial point for which I need to decipher. Anyway it could be very grateful if you guys could give me the full translation of the whole sentence.

Thank you in advance!

Pang
Nieuwkomer

Post by Pang » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:10 am

Thank you very much krub .