Sentences of Spring :)

Dit is een platform waar je in het Nederlands kunt praten. Over kunst of politiek maar ook gewoon over het weer of over jezelf. Wees vooral niet bang om fouten te maken!
Forum rules
When correcting Dutch texts, (most) vraagbaken use a colour code to distinguish between different types of mistakes. See also: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=753&p=5506#p5506
Lynn
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: English

Sentences of Spring :)

Post by Lynn » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:23 pm

I have written a few sentences in English and then I attempted to accurately translate them into Dutch sans google translate. Would appreciate corrections/changes. Thank you in advance.

1. I was strolling along the river one sunny afternoon when I came across this sculpture. Perhaps deep in contemplation or just day-dreaming, who knows what the artist had in mind?
Een zonnige middag loop ik langs het rivier toen ik die sculptuur kwam vooruit. Misschien diep in contemplation of gewoon dagdromen, wie weet wat de artiste had in zijn bedenken?

2. The winding path of the park amidst branches of spring blooms caught my attention.
Het bochtig wandelroute van de park tussen lente bloesemen heeft mijn aandacht gekregen.

3. The city hall stood out majestically despite the pink foliage in the foreground.
Het stadhuis stond majestueus ondanks de roze bomen met bladeren in de voorgrond.

4. In the lake, waterlily pads have started to sprout. I wonder when the lilies would be next.
In de lake, waterlily bladeren heeft begint te spruiten. Ik bewondered wanneer kom de lilies eraan.

5. Three swans swimming gracefully in the lake captured my attention.
Drie zwanen die sierlijk zwemmen in de lake heeft mijn aandacht gekregen.

6. A cow and goat were grazing in the meadows of the petting zoo.
Een koe en een geit waren gras eten in de veld van de kinderboerderij.

Bert
Superlid
Mother tongue: Hungarian

Re: Sentences of Spring :)

Post by Bert » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:54 pm

Lynn wrote:I have written a few sentences in English and then I attempted to accurately translate them into Dutch sans google translate. Would appreciate corrections/changes. Thank you in advance.

1. I was strolling along the river one sunny afternoon when I came across this sculpture. Perhaps deep in contemplation or just day-dreaming, who knows what the artist had in mind?
Op een zonnige middag wandelde [of: liep] ik langs de rivier toen ik deze sculptuur tegenkwam vooruit. Misschien was hij in diepe contemplatie of gewoon in een dagdroom, wie weet wat de kunstenaar had in gedachten had?

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Post by Quetzal » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:25 pm

Lynn wrote:I have written a few sentences in English and then I attempted to accurately translate them into Dutch sans google translate. Would appreciate corrections/changes. Thank you in advance.

2. The winding path of the park amidst branches of spring blooms caught my attention.
Het De bochtige wandelroute van de park tussen de lentebloesems heeft trok mijn aandacht gekregen.

3. The city hall stood out majestically despite the pink foliage in the foreground.
Het stadhuis stond majestueus ondanks de roze bomen met roze bladeren in de voorgrond.
I'm not really sure on how best to translate "stood out" here (even Google Translate didn't help me on that one). "Stond" doesn't cover it, though. Also, "pink foliage" would be better described as trees with pink leaves than pink trees with leaves, wouldn't you agree? ;)

In the previous sentence, "de aandacht trekken" (or with a possessive instead of "de", like here) is a fixed combination. And in this case I'd go with a simple past in Dutch as well, although it would depend on the context.
Lynn wrote: 4. In the lake, waterlily pads have started to sprout. I wonder when the lilies would be next.
In de lake, waterlily bladeren heeft begint te spruiten. Ik bewondered wanneer kom de lilies eraan.
That sentence has a number of issues - but then, it's extremely ambitious, what with the vocabulary and the combination of complicated verb tenses. I would write "In het meer begonnen waterleliebladeren te ontluiken. Ik vroeg me af wanneer de lelies zouden volgen" or something along those lines. Keep in mind that "bewonderen" means "admire", not "wonder", which is "zich afvragen". And a general remark - careful with singular/plural. Plural subjects require plural verbs.
Lynn wrote: 5. Three swans swimming gracefully in the lake captured my attention.
Drie zwanen die sierlijk zwommen in de lake het meer trokken heeft mijn aandacht gekregen.
In English, "swimming" doesn't specify if it's present or past - if the main verb "captured" is in the past tense, then the whole thing is past tense. You could write something similar in Dutch, but it would get awkward, so you're entirely right to use a relative clause instead, "drie zwanen die sierlijk zwemmen". However, since "zwemmen" is a conjugated verb unlike "swimming", it does need to specify present or past tense. And since the main verb is past tense, that one needs to be as well. So "zwommen" - translated back into English, "Three swans who swam gracefully...".
Lynn wrote: 6. A cow and goat were grazing in the meadows of the petting zoo.
Een koe en een geit waren gras aan het eten in de veld wei van de kinderboerderij.
Remember, "to be + ...ing" is always "aan het ... zijn". The "aan het" is required. We do have a direct equivalent for "graze" which is in fact basically identical, so you can also say "waren aan het grazen". Lastly, "veld" is a field - in which crops are planted, generally. A meadow is a "wei" or "weide".

BrutallyFrank
Global moderator
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French

Post by BrutallyFrank » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:50 am

A few suggestions:
- "stood out" could be translated with "in the oog springend" or 'opvallend'. Then the translation could be: "Het stadhuis viel op door haar statigheid, ondanks het roze gebladerte in de voorgrond"
- I choose to use the word 'statigheid', because that's what they say about impressive buildings ("statige gebouwen").
- I think that 'bochtige' is an ugly word, maybe it's better to use the word "kronkelende". I would use 'bochtige' to describe a race circuit with a lot of curves ("een bochtig circuit").

Overall I have to say that these sentences are not easy to translate.
"Moenie worrie nie, alles sal reg kom" (maar hy het nie gesê wanneer nie!)

Lynn
Waardevol lid
Mother tongue: English

Post by Lynn » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:22 pm

Hi Quetzal, BrutallyFrank and Bert,Thanks for your translations and explanations. I agree that "pink foliage" would be better described as trees with pink leaves instead of the other way.

"Kronkelende" in my opinion does sound sweeter than "bochtige". Somehow the latter reminds me of the word "botched" in English; ie a botched operation.

I wish everyone a lovely spring :)