reflexive verbs

[werkwoorden]
Regular verbs, irregular verbs, auxiliary verbs, compound verbs... When do we use which tense? What about those strange constructions the Dutch use to make a continuous? "Staat" my book on the shelf or "ligt" it? Ask all about Dutch verbs here.
fragrance in cuff
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: Mandarin
Second language: Cantonese
Third language: English (Canada)
Fourth language: Dutch (Netherlands)

reflexive verbs

Post by fragrance in cuff » Thu May 08, 2008 4:12 am

As Bieneke wrote in the grammer, "there are many reflexive verbs in Dutch that translate to normal (non-reflexive) verbs in English." So, it becomes quite difficult for a new beginner like me to know whether I should use the reflexive pronouns or not. Is there a summary of the reflexive verbs? Can anyone list here? Thanks a lot.

kwalijkje
Superlid
Country of residence: United Kingdom
Mother tongue: English
Second language: Dutch
Third language: Slovak
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: British Sign Language (of Britse Gebarentaal)

Re: reflexive verbs

Post by kwalijkje » Thu May 15, 2008 10:56 am

fragrance in cuff wrote:As Bieneke wrote in the grammer, "there are many reflexive verbs in Dutch that translate to normal (non-reflexive) verbs in English." So, it becomes quite difficult for a new beginner like me to know whether I should use the reflexive pronouns or not. Is there a summary of the reflexive verbs? Can anyone list here? Thanks a lot.
Hey FIC,
There are loads of reflexive verbs. I tried looking for a list before. The best I got was from the back of the Colloquial Dutch book I used to get me started on the grammar. It's not exactly comprehensive, but I guess it's a list of the most common ones, otherwise they wouldn't bother to teach them to beginners. Hope it helps...
aankleden - to get dressed
begeven - to go into/onto
bevinden - to be, to be situated
gedragen - to behave
haasten - to hurry up
herinneren - to remember
omkleden - to get changed
schamen - to be ashamed
scheren - to shave
uitkleden - to get undressed
verheugen (op) - too look forward (to)
vergissen - to be mistaken
veroorloven - to afford
verslapen - to oversleep
vervelen - to be bored
There's a few more here as well:
http://thailandlinks.blogspot.com/2006/ ... verbs.html

Groetjes
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Lui(steren) en(is) moe(ilijk)

kwalijkje
Superlid
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: British Sign Language (of Britse Gebarentaal)

Post by kwalijkje » Fri May 16, 2008 9:54 pm

Hoi, ik heb ook een pdf gevonden dat heeft dingen over ?reflexive? werkworden te zeggen. Ik weet niet hoe juiste het is en ik verdacht het door een Engelseman was geschreven. Maar hier het is geparafreseerd. Misschien een vraagbaken mag het verbeteren. (And before I forget, why does the verb verbeteren not gain a long vowel in its first person conjugation?)

Hey, I also found a pdf slideshow that had some things to say about reflexive verbs. I'm not sure how accurate it is, and I suspect it was written by an Englishman. But here it is (heavily) paraphrased. Maybe one of the vraagbaken might correct it.

There are two reflexive forms zich and zichzelf. Zich is the weaker form and zichzelf is the stronger.

Inherently reflexive verbs come under three categories:
1. attitude verbs - i.e. zich herinneren (to remember), zich schamen (to be ashamed), zich afvragen (to wonder)
2. incohative verbs - i.e. zich verspreiden (to spread, such as spreading a rumour), zich manifesteren (to become manifest)
3. grooming verbs - i.e. zich wassen (to wash), zich scheren (to shave)
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Post by Quetzal » Sat May 17, 2008 12:23 am

kwalijkje wrote:Hoi, ik heb ook een pdf gevonden dat (I'd say "die", but with abbreviations or English terms like that, it's really anybody's guess) heeft dingen over ?reflexive? wederkerende werkworden te zeggen heeft. Ik weet niet hoe juiste het is en ik verdachtenk het ervan door een Engelseman was geschreven te zijn. Maar hier het is het geparafreaseerd. Misschien kan een vraagbakenak mag het verbeteren. (And before I forget, why does the verb verbeteren not gain a long vowel in its first person conjugation?)

Hey, I also found a pdf slideshow that had some things to say about reflexive verbs. I'm not sure how accurate it is, and I suspect it was written by an Englishman. But here it is (heavily) paraphrased. Maybe one of the vraagbaken might correct it.

There are two reflexive forms zich and zichzelf. Zich is the weaker form and zichzelf is the stronger.

Inherently reflexive verbs come under three categories:
1. attitude verbs - i.e. zich herinneren (to remember), zich schamen (to be ashamed), zich afvragen (to wonder)
2. incohative verbs - i.e. zich verspreiden (to spread, such as spreading a rumour), zich manifesteren (to become manifest)
3. grooming verbs - i.e. zich wassen (to wash), zich scheren (to shave)
Well, the "verbeteren" thing is really just a straightforward application of the short/long syllables rule:
In a verb like "leven", the infinitive has an open syllable in which the long E-sound is hence written with a single E, whereas the first person "leef" is a closed syllable, and the long E-sound requires a double E.

But in "verbeteren", the infinitive has the open syllable and hence a single E for that middle E-sound, but the first person "verbeter" also has an open syllable for that middle E. So it doesn't change.

As for the pdf, that looks fairly accurate, although I should point out that "zich verspreiden" does mean "to spread", but not in the sense of "spreading a rumour" - which after all means that somebody is actively spreading that rumour. That would be "verspreiden" in Dutch, i.e. non-reflexive. "Zich verspreiden" means "to spread" in the sense of, for instance: "the spilt oil spread over the waves".

Oh, and I corrected the "verdenk" sentence in a rather complicated way, I'll admit... the simple version would've been "en ik denk dat het door een Engelsman geschreven is", but since you used "verdenken", I went with that.

For the "grooming" category, it's really fairly logical... after all, when one "shaves", as they say in English, one is shaving one's face/body, i.e. shaving oneself. When one washes, one washes one's body, i.e. oneself. When one gets dressed, one is putting clothes onto one's own body, i.e. dressing oneself. If you look at it that way, it makes a lot of sense for those verbs to be reflexive.

fragrance in cuff
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: Mandarin
Second language: Cantonese
Third language: English (Canada)
Fourth language: Dutch (Netherlands)

Post by fragrance in cuff » Sat May 17, 2008 1:55 am

Thanks a lot, now I have some idea about it.

kwalijkje
Superlid

Post by kwalijkje » Mon May 26, 2008 6:07 pm

Dank jewel, Quetzal. :D

Can anyone tell me if ontgaan a reflexive verb?

Joke
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch (in progress...)

Post by Joke » Mon May 26, 2008 6:34 pm

kwalijkje wrote:Can anyone tell me if ontgaan a reflexive verb?
No, 'ontgaan' is not a reflexive verb.

You can't say 'ik ontga me'. Instead you say 'het ontgaat me' or 'iets ontgaat me'. 'Het' is the subject, and 'me' the indirect object or something. I'm not really sure about the correct analysis, but I don't think it's reflexive.

Joke

kwalijkje
Superlid

Post by kwalijkje » Mon May 26, 2008 7:09 pm

Heel bedankt, Joke. :) :)
Ik ben bij werk en kan niet aan vandale bekijk. Het wordt vervelend wanneer een woord omheen mijn kop zwemt, en er is niks ik kan doe. :x

Grytolle
Superlid
Mother tongue: Swedish
Second language: English
Third language: Dutch
Fourth language: German

Post by Grytolle » Mon May 26, 2008 8:03 pm

A good idea is to learn infinitive instructions or phrases as a whole.. then you'll get the zich's right automatically quite soon
:-)

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Post by Quetzal » Mon May 26, 2008 8:18 pm

kwalijkje wrote:Heel erg bedankt, Joke. :) :)
Ik ben bij op het werk en kan Van Dale niet aan vandale bekijken. Het wordt vervelend wanneer een woord omheen mijn kop heen zwemt, en er is niks dat ik kan doen. :x
"Omheen" is een beetje een vreemd woord, in de meeste gevallen wordt het apart geschreven (om ... heen) met hetgene waar iets omheen draait in het midden.

Het was me niet helemaal duidelijk of dat laatste stuk ook nog bij de "vervelend" hoorde, maar als dat zo is, dan moet er inversie zijn (d.w.z.: "het wordt vervelend wanneer een woord ... zwemt, en (wanneer) er niks is dat ik kan doen").

HalloweenHJB
Lid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English (United States)
Second language: Spanish
Third language: French

Post by HalloweenHJB » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:06 am

I, too, was looking for a reasonably full list of verbs that normally take a reflexive pronoun —sometimes with a distinct meaning from the verb used non-reflexively. So I found a few sources, and tried to put together a list that I hope will be helpful to others out there. I did not separate verbs that are "essentially" reflexive (always or almost always used with a reflexive pronoun) from those that may be used reflexively.

zich aankleden [to get dressed]
zich afvragen [to wonder]
zich amuseren [to enjoy oneself, have a good time]
zich bemoeien (met) [to interfere/ get involved with]
zich bevinden [to find oneself, be situated]
zich bewegen [to move]
zich dood schrikken [to die of fright, be scared to death]
zich ergeren (aan) [to be annoyed/irritated at]
zich gedragen [to behave]
zich haasten [to hurry up]
zich herinneren [to remember]
zich herstellen [to recover, get better]