Houden van versus Willen

[werkwoorden]
Regular verbs, irregular verbs, auxiliary verbs, compound verbs... When do we use which tense? What about those strange constructions the Dutch use to make a continuous? "Staat" my book on the shelf or "ligt" it? Ask all about Dutch verbs here.
ayates
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English (Canada)
Second language: French

Houden van versus Willen

Post by ayates » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:45 pm

I am only at the basic level of learning Dutch, but in my class I had been taught that 'houden van' was 'to like' (or in the case of a person 'to love'. So I could have the phrase 'Ik hou van mijn Nederlands' - 'I like my Dutch'. But when in the Netherlands I tried 'Zij houden van mijn Dutch' - 'They like my Dutch', I was corrected in that it should be 'Zij willen mijn Nederlands'.

Can anybody explain why the change from houden van to willen?

Incidentally, I found that on the whole, people in the Netherlands were extremely supportive of my language learning efforts.

Bedankt,

Allan.

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Re: Houden van versus Willen

Post by ngonyama » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:44 pm

ayates wrote:I am only at the basic level of learning Dutch, but in my class I had been taught that 'houden van' was 'to like' (or in the case of a person 'to love'. So I could have the phrase 'Ik hou van mijn Nederlands' - 'I like my Dutch'. But when in the Netherlands I tried 'Zij houden van mijn Dutch' - 'They like my Dutch', I was corrected in that it should be 'Zij willen mijn Nederlands'.
Hmm, I don't quite see why. What was the context?

Can anybody explain why the change from houden van to willen?

Not really, sorry...

houden van is to feel affection for something. When applied to people it usually means to love
Ik hou van kaas - I like / love cheese
Ik hou van Canada - I love Canada
Hou je van me? - Do you love me?

Another way to express 'like' is to use word like 'leuk'.
Ze vinden mijn Nederlands leuk - They like my Dutch (they think it is fun/cute)

Willen is to want
Ik wil kaas, geen ham -- I want cheese, not ham
Wil je koffie? - Do you want coffee
Zou je koffie willen - Would you like some coffee?

Incidentally, I found that on the whole, people in the Netherlands were extremely supportive of my language learning efforts.
I'm glad you did and applaud your kind persistence. It is an encouragement for others here: yes this can be done, but not if you are embarrassed too easily.

Bedankt,

Allan.