different ways to say I like to do something

[werkwoorden]
Regular verbs, irregular verbs, auxiliary verbs, compound verbs... When do we use which tense? What about those strange constructions the Dutch use to make a continuous? "Staat" my book on the shelf or "ligt" it? Ask all about Dutch verbs here.
brucenator
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English (United States)

different ways to say I like to do something

Post by brucenator » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:10 pm

Take guitar playing, for example.

I can only think of three basic ways to say "I like to play guitar" in Dutch:

Ik speel graag gitaar. Ik vind het leuk om gitaar te spelen. Ik hou van gitaarspelen. spelling corrected

Other than iets "graag" doen, het "leuk vinden" om iets te doen or "Ik hou van" dingen doen, are there any other ways of saying "I like to" (do something) that I should be aware of?
Last edited by brucenator on Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bert
Superlid
Mother tongue: Hungarian

Re: different ways to say I like to do something

Post by Bert » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:52 pm

Ik ben dol op gitaar spelen.

brucenator
Waardevol lid

Post by brucenator » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:31 pm

Bert wrote:Ik ben dol op gitaar spelen.

Thanks, Bert.
Except that I think "ik ben gek op" or "ik ben dol op" is more over the top, like, "I L-O-V-E playing guitar,"
even more so than "ik hou van…"

I just thought of another way of expressing this, though: Ik geniet van gitaarspelen. #-o
I enjoy guitar playing.
corrected
Last edited by brucenator on Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BrutallyFrank
Global moderator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French

Post by BrutallyFrank » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:15 am

brucenator wrote:I just thought of another way of expressing this, though: Ik geniet van gitaar spelen. #-o
I enjoy playing guitar.
There's one little catch in that last example: when you say 'ik geniet van gitaarspelen' it's most likely used as a passive thing. So you won't be playing the guitar yourself. I'm not saying that it's always used like that. It can mean the same thing as before (actively playing guitar), but with 'genieten' I think it's more a passive thing (listening to someone playing the guitar).

Btw it's 'gitaarspelen' and not 'gitaar spelen', just like 'ringwerpen, pianospelen, autowassen' ... one word.
"Moenie worrie nie, alles sal reg kom" (maar hy het nie gesê wanneer nie!)

brucenator
Waardevol lid

Post by brucenator » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:56 pm

BrutallyFrank wrote:There's one little catch in that last example: when you say 'ik geniet van gitaarspelen' it's most likely used as a passive thing. So you won't be playing the guitar yourself. I'm not saying that it's always used like that. It can mean the same thing as before (actively playing guitar), but with 'genieten' I think it's more a passive thing (listening to someone playing the guitar).

Btw it's 'gitaarspelen' and not 'gitaar spelen', just like 'ringwerpen, pianospelen, autowassen' ... one word.
Thanks, Frank. This is precisely the kind of feedback I need. I'm just learning Dutch by hook and crook, since I've never had formal lessons or experienced Dutch in country. Most of the nuances I pick up are random, from watching Dutch TV shows, movies or other video. For example, I would never have known what it means to say, "Weet IK veel!" or "Houdoe" if I hadn't randomly heard it on a video.

I went back and changed the translation of 'Ik geniet van gitaarspelen' to 'I enjoy guitar playing,' which is somewhat more passive in English than 'I enjoy playing guitar' which explicitly means that you enjoy playing guitar yourself. Although in English, they both generally mean the same thing. To properly express in English that you enjoy hearing someone else play, you would need to be more explicit: "I enjoy listening to guitar."