Bellen on past participle

[werkwoorden]
Regular verbs, irregular verbs, auxiliary verbs, compound verbs... When do we use which tense? What about those strange constructions the Dutch use to make a continuous? "Staat" my book on the shelf or "ligt" it? Ask all about Dutch verbs here.
Osiris
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Romania
Mother tongue: Romanian
Second language: English

Bellen on past participle

Post by Osiris » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:57 pm

Hello,
I have a question about forming past participle. I saw that verbs that start with be, er, ge,ver,ont,her don t get the ge in front from past participle, yet I saw on some example a sentence like: Hij heeft haar vandaag al drie keer gebeld .My question is why the verb bellen gets a ge on past participle? Is it an exception from the rule I mentioned above? I hope that someone can enlighten me. Thank you

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Re: Bellen on past participle

Post by ngonyama » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:56 pm

Osiris wrote:Hello,
I have a question about forming past participle. I saw that verbs that start with be, er, ge,ver,ont,her don t get the ge in front from past participle, yet I saw on some example a sentence like: Hij heeft haar vandaag al drie keer gebeld .My question is why the verb bellen gets a ge on past participle? Is it an exception from the rule I mentioned above? I hope that someone can enlighten me. Thank you
Actually the rule is: if it starts with a prefix be-, er-, ge-,ve-r,ont-,her- you do not get ge-:

berijden --> bereden
erkennen --> erkend
gebieden --> geboden
verzamelen --> verzameld
ontginnen --> ontgonnen

Etc.

Notice that all these verbs have three syllables: be-(prefix) rijd-(root) -en(ending)

Bellen does not have a prefix, it only starts with be because the root of the verb is bel-. Basic verbs without a prefix always take ge-

Osiris
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Romania
Mother tongue: Romanian

Re: Bellen on past participle

Post by Osiris » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:15 pm

Oh I see thank you for your answer