Het verschil tussen wisselen en omwisselen?

[werkwoorden]
Regular verbs, irregular verbs, auxiliary verbs, compound verbs... When do we use which tense? What about those strange constructions the Dutch use to make a continuous? "Staat" my book on the shelf or "ligt" it? Ask all about Dutch verbs here.
garrett361
Nieuwkomer
Mother tongue: English

Het verschil tussen wisselen en omwisselen?

Post by garrett361 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:31 pm

What's the difference between the usage/meaning of wisselen and omwisselen? Seem to be used in very similar contexts and translations I can find often coincide. Dankjewel!

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Re: Het verschil tussen wisselen en omwisselen?

Post by ngonyama » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:06 am

garrett361 wrote:What's the difference between the usage/meaning of wisselen and omwisselen? Seem to be used in very similar contexts and translations I can find often coincide. Dankjewel!
I'm sure there is quite a bit of overlap. Wisselen can be used to indicate randomness, like "wisselend weer": weather that changes often and unpredictably. It is also used for the process of changing teeth when you are young. So it is a bit more general than omwisselen which is more to swap one object for anohter. Ik heb hier de T&H omgewisseld. There is a third verb verwisselen. It is also to swap but it has the connotation of a detrimental swap, usually by accident.

garrett361
Nieuwkomer
Mother tongue: English

Re: Het verschil tussen wisselen en omwisselen?

Post by garrett361 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:18 pm

Dankjewel! Heel handig antwoord.