Pronunciation of "ei"

[spelling en uitspraak]
How do you pronounce 'gezellig'? What is the difference between 'eu' and 'ui'? How do you write...? You can use the phonetic keyboard if you are familiar with phonetic symbols.
[Jan. 12, 2008: due to the forum update, the phonetic keyboard has been temporarily disabled.]
gunsityy
Nieuwkomer
Mother tongue: Bulgarian

Pronunciation of "ei"

Post by gunsityy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:49 pm

I'm confused, I need a little help.

In the "Vowel combinations" section it is said that "ei" ei pronounced [ɛi] or [æi]. Nevertheless, every time I pronounce the name of the town Leiden, I'm being corrected. People tell me it should be pronounced [ai] instead.

What is the right way?

Bert
Superlid
Mother tongue: Hungarian

Re: Pronunciation of "ei"

Post by Bert » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:00 pm

De Leidenaren volgen de juiste weg. :)

Zoethout
Lid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Post by Zoethout » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:02 pm

The vowel sound in Leiden, and words like mei, ei en ijs for that matter, are indeed pronounced as [ɛi] in Dutch. Certainly not as [ai] as in the English word price, although there is a tendency for some people to start pronouncing words with /ei/ a bit more like [ai] .
For an example check here:
http://nl.wiktionary.org/wiki/ei

Bert
Superlid
Mother tongue: Hungarian

Post by Bert » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:09 pm

@Zoethout

Zeg je dan dat Leidenaren de naam van hun eigen stad niet kunnen uitspreken? (Tricky question, isn't it? "In wiens opdracht doopte Johannes? Kwam die opdracht van de hemel of van mensen?’ Ze overlegden met elkaar en zeiden: ‘Als we zeggen: “Van de hemel,” dan zal hij tegen ons zeggen: “Waarom hebt u hem dan niet geloofd?” Maar als we zeggen: “Van mensen,” dan krijgen we het volk over ons heen, want iedereen houdt Johannes voor een profeet.’")

seabreeze
Lid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (other)
Second language: English

Post by seabreeze » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:30 am

by Zoethout » October 11th, 2012, 2:02 pm
The vowel sound in Leiden, and words like mei, ei en ijs for that matter, are indeed pronounced as [ɛi] in Dutch. Certainly not as [ai] as in the English word price, although there is a tendency for some people to start pronouncing words with /ei/ a bit more like [ai] .
For an example check here:

by Bert » October 12th, 2012, 1:09 pm
@Zoethout

Zeg je dan dat Leidenaren de naam van hun eigen stad niet kunnen uitspreken? (Tricky question, isn't it? "In wiens opdracht doopte Johannes? Kwam die opdracht van de hemel of van mensen?’ Ze overlegden met elkaar en zeiden: ‘Als we zeggen: “Van de hemel,” dan zal hij tegen ons zeggen: “Waarom hebt u hem dan niet geloofd?” Maar als we zeggen: “Van mensen,” dan krijgen we het volk over ons heen, want iedereen houdt Johannes voor een profeet.’")
@ Bert
I fully agree with Zoethout! Although not being a “Leidenaar”, I grew up and live in the area. Besides that, I truly believe that there must be some kind of misunderstanding here between what we see and what we hear. I’ve never come across a Leidenaar pronouncing Leiden with a ai., or it must have been (for the purpose to pronounce it as) slang. Leiden should certainly be pronounced with what we see as a [ɛi]. Personally, I’m not charmed by the new tendencies to pronounce ei/ij as ai.

The [ɛi] in Leiden comes closer to [ai] as in

Beijing / play/ bait

Than to[ai] as in

Bicycle, either (US), ice-cream and sky

Help us out,Gunsityy! How does Leiden sounds to you when you use the [ɛi] as in the first line above?