Why "beleefDe" and not "beleefTe"?

[spelling en uitspraak]
How do you pronounce 'gezellig'? What is the difference between 'eu' and 'ui'? How do you write...? You can use the phonetic keyboard if you are familiar with phonetic symbols.
[Jan. 12, 2008: due to the forum update, the phonetic keyboard has been temporarily disabled.]
Mellifera
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Ukrainian
Second language: Russian
Third language: English
Fourth language: Dutch (Netherlands)

Why "beleefDe" and not "beleefTe"?

Post by Mellifera » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:10 pm

Ok, so here's my question:

Infinitive of the verb: beleven

In a present tense sentence starting with "Ik beleef..." the e doubles and v turns into f.

But if I want to express the same sentence in the past tense: "Ik beleefde...", right?

But, according to the 't kofschip rule, an f should be followed by an ending -te, like in "Ik werkte". So, it should be beleefte, yet it's wrong. So, how come? I mean I'd understand if it were beleefte or even beleevde, but the way it is - I don't get it.

Maybe I'm misreading the rule? I just have no idea where to look it up and it drives me a bit crazy. :eek:

Thanks in advance!

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Re: Why "beleefDe" and not "beleefTe"?

Post by Quetzal » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:54 am

Yeah, the "'t kofschip" rule should be applied to the original stem (as seen in the infinitive), and not the modified stem as seen in the first person singular. For verbs where the original stem ends on a V or a Z, this can be misleading as the modified stem will indeed end on an F or S respectively. In the past tense and the past participle ("beleefd") the F or S remains, but you'll still have to use a D after it based on the V or Z in the infinitive (as opposed to verbs where the stem actually does end on an F or S, even in the infinitive, then of course it's a T).

See our grammar pages for a longer explanation.

Mellifera
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Ukrainian
Second language: Russian
Third language: English
Fourth language: Dutch (Netherlands)

Re: Why "beleefDe" and not "beleefTe"?

Post by Mellifera » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:57 pm

Oh, thank you, Quetzal!
This is super helpful. :)