Is this Accent Dutch?

[spelling en uitspraak]
How do you pronounce 'gezellig'? What is the difference between 'eu' and 'ui'? How do you write...? You can use the phonetic keyboard if you are familiar with phonetic symbols.
[Jan. 12, 2008: due to the forum update, the phonetic keyboard has been temporarily disabled.]
Noodle_the_Noodle
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English (United States)

Is this Accent Dutch?

Post by Noodle_the_Noodle » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:07 pm

Genuine request for help and sorry if it hacks anyone off. Long story-short, my father was scammed over a 2 year period for £300,000 + by boiler room scammers selling fake gold shares. We believe the scammer is Dutch. I would greatly appreciate it if you could listen to this 40 second answer phone message I posted on Y.Tube to confirm. The scammer claims he is from Enschede, Netherlands. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZCEEDUYAmE

Alternatively please search for this on Y.Tube: "£317K Boiler Room Scam | Scammer Peter Deboer | Who Is This Boiler Room Scammer?"

I do know there are typos in the video message, it will be replaced soon.

Thank you so much

BrutallyFrank
Global moderator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French

Re: Is this Accent Dutch?

Post by BrutallyFrank » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:36 pm

Although this isn't the place for this, I am willing to give it a go ... at least if it doesn't interfere with the goals of this site.

I listened to your soundclip, but it's not really clear if this man is Dutch. I heard some slight things that does make him sound Dutch. Especially the 's' has a typical pronounciation, but more like a speech impediment than an accent ... when he says 'certain' it sounds more like 'sh' instead of an 's' ... I doubt if he's from Enschede ...

I did a little search for 'oplichter Peter DeBoer' and found something that might be of interest to you: http://peterdenboer-nicfinancielediensten.blogspot.nl/ This is about a guy from Amersfoort Peter Den Boer (province of Utrecht, Holland) who's a scam artist and probably living in Spain. Just look at the entry from 30 maart 2009. But remember: everything on there is from 2009!!!
Could be him ...

Did some more research: this name pops up several times ... always with some scam. Sometimes with a companion called Romero Holt. That guy went to court in 2007, together with his companions among which a Peter de Boer. But they mention that the name is fake.
On a site his name is mentioned in connection with a TV-programme Radar ...

Edit: I listened to your other soundbite ... that did have a typical Dutch expression in it: ".. we can't bent iron with bare hands ..." (geen ijzer met handen breken) ... saying that something is impossible to do at that moment and to try patience. I think he's Dutch ... in the clip in which he returns the call after 12 months, he seems to be caught off guard for a moment and he pronounces 'th' as 'f' (wif instead of with) ... I wouldn't say typical Dutch, but I've heard it often.
"Moenie worrie nie, alles sal reg kom" (maar hy het nie gesê wanneer nie!)

Noodle_the_Noodle
Nieuwkomer

Post by Noodle_the_Noodle » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:12 pm

Thanks for your response and research. I really appreciate it. I've been given 3 names so far, 2 Dutch, 1 from Southern Sweden. Today I've learned there is a language called Dutch Flanders which I believe originates in Northern Belgium. I wonder if he is native to The Netherlands, and because he spends a lot of time with English guys (many scammers are from Kent in the UK sadly), that he has this dialect which adds to the confusion of determining his real accent. You are spot-on with Spain, many boiler rooms are located there.

Thanks again for your help.

ngonyama
Superlid
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Post by ngonyama » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:51 pm

His accent does sound Dutch to me, but not from Enschede. More Randstad. But all that is hard to judge from a distance.

Noodle_the_Noodle
Nieuwkomer

Post by Noodle_the_Noodle » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:22 pm

Thank you for your help. Some of my research, including an IP address points to that area.

BrutallyFrank
Global moderator

Post by BrutallyFrank » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:43 pm

Forget about that IP-adress, when I do a search for my own IP I end up miles away from where I live. I'm not saying he's not from the Enschede area, but I was there during my army time ... he doesn't sound like somebody from that area. I could of course be wrong, although he does speak with an accent. It's just not clear where from exactly. I guess your research also points towards Swifterbant?

@ngonyama: did you listen to his other clips on YouTube?

ngonyama
Superlid
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Post by ngonyama » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:57 pm

I did listen to a few more. The way he says "Vredestein" is Dutch and so is the devoicing at the ents of worts. Not Enschede. I would not say Amsterdam itself either, somewhere Randstad, northern half?

Teodor
Superlid
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)
Second language: Serbo-Croatian
Third language: French
Fourth language: English

Post by Teodor » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:04 am

Noodle_the_Noodle wrote:Thanks for your response and research. I really appreciate it. I've been given 3 names so far, 2 Dutch, 1 from Southern Sweden. Today I've learned there is a language called Dutch Flanders which I believe originates in Northern Belgium. I wonder if he is native to The Netherlands, and because he spends a lot of time with English guys (many scammers are from Kent in the UK sadly), that he has this dialect which adds to the confusion of determining his real accent. You are spot-on with Spain, many boiler rooms are located there.

Thanks again for your help.
The Dutch speaking region of Belgium is called Flanders; the Dutch as spoken there is often called Flemish.
That being said, as the first Flemish person intervening in this thread: if I had to guess and assume he was from somewhere in the Dutch speaking area, I'm inclined to say that he's not from Flanders, but rather from the Netherlands, although I can't exactly point out what exactly is it that makes me think that (the sh-like quality of some of his s'es, perhaps?). However, as you say, he's mixing his native accent with a fake British one, which makes it rather hard to determine his origins.

The w's are often a good way of distuingishing Flemings and Dutchman; however, I can't make much of it from these clips.
I'm also unfamiliar with the expression "geen ijzer met handen breken", but that might be a personal thing.

IF he's Scandinavian, I'd guess Danish, because (standard) Swedish and Norwegian apparently do not have final-obstruent devoicing, which is quite prominent in this Peter Deboer/de Boer fellow's English. However, I'm not sure whether there aren't some Swedish and Norwegian dialects have this. Any "scandinavologists" in the room?

The spelling "Deboer" instead of "de Boer" would suggest a Belgian origin, but I would still place my money Dutch-Dutch if I had to. It's also not excluded that he deliberately misspells his name.

Anyway, I don't think they were really helpful, but these were my 2 cents.

BrutallyFrank
Global moderator

Post by BrutallyFrank » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:42 am

I think we've done our share. I will lock the topic now.

If people have anything relevant to report, please contact the original poster by Private Message ...