Last Name Pronunciation

Would you like to publish your own sound files? As a Dutch native speaker, you can create sound files to help Dutch learners. If you are studying Dutch, you can record your voice to practice your pronunciation -- and ideally, let the rest of us enjoy it too. :)
monovalent
Nieuwkomer

Last Name Pronunciation

Post by monovalent » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:18 am

I would be very grateful if someone could teach me how to pronounce the last name Huyghebaert in Flemish. An MP3 audio file would be preferred. Please send to monovalent[at]gmail[dot]com

Thanks

AppelstroopIsLekker
Superlid
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: English (United States)
Second language: Dutch (Flanders)
Third language: French
Fourth language: Italian

Re: Last Name Pronunciation

Post by AppelstroopIsLekker » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:55 pm

monovalent wrote:I would be very grateful if someone could teach me how to pronounce the last name Huyghebaert in Flemish. An MP3 audio file would be preferred. Please send to monovalent[at]gmail[dot]com

Thanks
In "modern" Dutch phonetics, it would be spelled as:

Huigebaart.

I do *not* speak with a Flemish accent, but here is a Limburgish-esque accent. So, if they come from Belgian Limburg then just say it like: http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1609992/huygebaert.wma

(I exaggerated some of the sounds so you could hear them all, but that is how I would generally say the name).

Best of luck.

Just curious, why do you want to know?

Grytolle
Superlid
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Swedish
Second language: English
Third language: Dutch
Fourth language: German

Post by Grytolle » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:25 pm

monovalent wrote:I would be very grateful if someone could teach me how to pronounce the last name Huyghebaert in Flemish. An MP3 audio file would be preferred. Please send to monovalent[at]gmail[dot]com

Thanks
Either as Huigenbaard (treating the pronounciation of -e(n)- like by the masculine noun "baard") or as Huigebaard (because it's spelled that way), I suppose: ['(h)œ:ɣə(n)ba:rt]
:-)

monovalent
Nieuwkomer

Post by monovalent » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:01 pm

Thanks, it's a friend's last name and I'm tired of not being able to say it.