HELP!!!Just came to live in Holland permanently

If you have any comments, suggestions, or questions about the forum or any other pages on www.dutchgrammar.com, you can post them here.
picodeloro
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Tagalog
Second language: English (United States)

HELP!!!Just came to live in Holland permanently

Post by picodeloro » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:32 pm

Hi everybody,

We just moved in here two months ago to live permanently. I find it difficult to integrate really. As I tried to attend my daughter's school meeting, wow, I understand nothing about what they had talked about. But I viewed it as a challenge and I'm trying to read and study from where I left before ( in dutch language, and ik vind het moeilijk, zeg maar). So i will try to start again.I never spoke the language even at home while we were living in Saudi Arabia.

And my main question is...do I have to have any level in dutch language in order to be able to go to a school or university here in Holland. I am a Respiratory Therapist (RT) by profession (something american-ish job) and planning to take a course that is at least close to what I was doing as a therapist. We asked around in some hospital and they have no idea here in Holland what we, RTs, are doing (they have no idea we exist :-). And I have no idea too, if the school will admit me if I am not fluent in dutch.

And second question is...has anybody have any idea where should I go to have my documents checked ( like my school documents, certificates of employment) so that they can check here what is the equivalent of my degree from Philippines to that of Holland's.

Please help me, anyone, maybe some of you had the same struggles encountered. Please let me know what's the best thing to do. Thank you in advance. Happy christmas season to everyone.

Kind regards,
Fe

BrutallyFrank
Global moderator
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French

Re: HELP!!!Just came to live in Holland permanently

Post by BrutallyFrank » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:05 pm

Hallo Fe,

Welcome here ...

Being a native speaker, I don't have much advice to give on which method to use when learning Dutch. I guess it's different for every person. Just wait for people to turn up here and see what advice they can give you.

When it comes to your job: this a quote from a German study from 2006 ... "Researchers report that significant additional work is necessary to define and position the role of the Respiratory Therapist within the current healthcare system."
If you keep in mind that this was about Germany, I doubt if Dutch medicine has given this even some consideration if any ... but who knows.

There is an institution that can check your documents, but from what I remember they are very expensive. Just check the forum here for some answer to that question. In the meantime try: https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/contact/co ... ering-icdw

Cheers,
BF
"Moenie worrie nie, alles sal reg kom" (maar hy het nie gesê wanneer nie!)

picodeloro
Nieuwkomer
Mother tongue: Tagalog
Second language: English (United States)

Post by picodeloro » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:47 pm

Hoi BF,

First of all, thank you for a very quick response. I do appreciate it a lot. And yeah, I have read that Germany are now having Respiratory Therapist in their health care system. So i'm kinda hoping it will develop here soon. Hoping to be kinda trail blazer :)

And here in NL, I have to go to school I guess. I am not fluent in dutch so I have no idea if that will be good. So maybe I need to work on that too.

I will be checking that links that you have sent me here.

Again, my thanks.

Groetjes,
Fe

BrutallyFrank
Global moderator
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French

Post by BrutallyFrank » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:28 pm

picodeloro wrote:Hoi BF,
And here in NL, I have to go to school I guess. I am not fluent in dutch so I have no idea if that will be good. So maybe I need to work on that too.
It depends which level you want to study at and which school. If it's a university or hogeschool, it could well be that they teach their courses in English. But I'm pretty sure you'd still have to learn Dutch anyway ...
"Moenie worrie nie, alles sal reg kom" (maar hy het nie gesê wanneer nie!)