Soooo defeated!

If you have any comments, suggestions, or questions about the forum or any other pages on www.dutchgrammar.com, you can post them here.
Selina1113x
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: United Kingdom
Mother tongue: English (Great Britain)
Second language: Dutch (Netherlands)

Soooo defeated!

Post by Selina1113x » Sat May 13, 2017 2:52 am

:( I'll keep this short cause i'm so deflated, but how can I improve my speaking skills in Dutch? I have an entire book filled with words, random phrases, random sentences i've been studying. Yet tonight when trying to "talk" to my Dutch friend, I couldn't even say one sentence throughout the entire night! I'm not the most confident of people in my own language, nevermind the one i'm learning. We text so good, like it's much easier, you get time to answer, it's clearly written down and you have all the time in the world to read and respond, but listening and speaking - I've hit a huge brick wall. How do I move forward and improve my understanding of the language, and know how to build my own sentences? :?

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Re: Soooo defeated!

Post by ngonyama » Sat May 13, 2017 3:57 am

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Yes this can be really frustrating, especially if you expect to communicate at the level that you are accustomed to in the language that is your mother tongue.

I do not pretend to have a solution but I do have some suggestions.

First of all: keep sentences short. Give yourself a treat -mentally or otherwise- for forming a three word sentence, then four. Then five. Even stringing those together and pronounce them fluently will challenge your tongue, because you have to string together unfamiliar sounds.

Secondly: put yourself in front of a mirror and start a conversation with an imaginary partner about a particular subject. Tell him/her what you think of May or Corbyn or cats or windmills or whatever. Try to tell him/her a story. Imagine what she/he might say back.

You'll find out that you get stuck because you do not known how to say a certain thing. Fine, make a mental note and later look up how to say it.

Thirdly: recite a poem. It may contain poetic language that you'll never use, but it practices your mouth and your ability to string sounds together.