Hallo

Here, you can introduce yourself. What is your reason to learn Dutch? Work or study? A Dutch-speaking loved one? Sheer curiosity? Share it with us!
veelbomen
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: United Kingdom
Mother tongue: English

Hallo

Post by veelbomen » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:12 am

Hello all

I've been learning Dutch for a few weeks now and I feel like I'm making reasonable progress. I've been using completed 2 of 5 sections in Duolingo. It's best to mix sources up a bit (would you agree?) so I've also picked up Get Started in Dutch (from Hodder Education's Teach Yourself series) and Hugo Dutch in Three Months from a charity shop. I picked up a kids' book when I was in Mastricht the other week (called Hoera, ik kan goed lezen!) and have translated the first story (Oei! Tom heeft de hik :D ) It seems to be part of a reading tree: it's level AVI-M3 pitched at lezen groep 3 midden (NL) or leerjaar 1 midden (BE) – does anyone know which age group of native speakers this typically is, out of interest?

Does anyone know easy-read Dutch media online? Here in England, the vocabulary content of The Sun has famously (iirc) been analysed by linguists as pitched at an average 8-year old. Is there anything pitched at a similar level but with content for adults in the Netherlands?

This is the first language I've tried to learn since school, ahem years ago. I left with a bare pass of the age 16 certificates in French and Spanish, but even then I was nowhere near being able to have a proper conversation, even after five years of studying them. I think I'm probably at a one-to-one-and-a-half-year equivalent stage of Dutch already! If only the computer learning tools and resources had been available then!

One thing I've been wondering about. Can anyone describe their experiences of becoming able to think in other languages? Sort of when neushoorn stops simply being a codeword which means rhinocerous and actually summons up the image of the dier in your mind. Is the point when a whole sentence becomes meaningful by itself, without the need to translate it into your native language, a further stage or did the two come together at around the same time for you? Was there a lightbulb moment or was is a more gradual process?

Anyway
Genoeg vragen!
Dank U wel

BrutallyFrank
Global moderator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French

Re: Hallo

Post by BrutallyFrank » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:40 am

Welkom Veelbomen,

You can try and find some 'Sesamstraat' vids on YouTube. They seem to be quite good to learn the Dutch language. And you can also look around this forum, because your question has been asked before ...

About the experiences your wondering about. I have no idea when I started to think in other languages. I grew with multiple languages around (dialect, Dutch, French and German). But I do remember my aunt leaving for France and saying after a while that she forgot the Dutch words for an object, but didn't have a French word to replace it. Now that she returned, it was the other around. I guess it's just a question of time and how much you're exposed to the language.

And btw: groep 3 equals 7-year olds.
"Moenie worrie nie, alles sal reg kom" (maar hy het nie gesê wanneer nie!)

estarling
Superlid
Country of residence: Romania
Mother tongue: Romanian

Post by estarling » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:00 am

***** De onderlijning van fouten en de kritiek over deze tekst zijn welkom.

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Post by ngonyama » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:52 am

veelbomen wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:12 am
Hello all

I've been learning Dutch for a few weeks now and I feel like I'm making reasonable progress. I've been using completed 2 of 5 sections in Duolingo. It's best to mix sources up a bit (would you agree?) so I've also picked up Get Started in Dutch (from Hodder Education's Teach Yourself series) and Hugo Dutch in Three Months from a charity shop. I picked up a kids' book when I was in Mastricht the other week (called Hoera, ik kan goed lezen!) and have translated the first story (Oei! Tom heeft de hik :D ) It seems to be part of a reading tree: it's level AVI-M3 pitched at lezen groep 3 midden (NL) or leerjaar 1 midden (BE) – does anyone know which age group of native speakers this typically is, out of interest?

Does anyone know easy-read Dutch media online? Here in England, the vocabulary content of The Sun has famously (iirc) been analysed by linguists as pitched at an average 8-year old. Is there anything pitched at a similar level but with content for adults in the Netherlands?
I put a modicum of that on https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Dutch/Example_1 etc. but that may not be what you are looking for.

This is the first language I've tried to learn since school, ahem years ago. I left with a bare pass of the age 16 certificates in French and Spanish, but even then I was nowhere near being able to have a proper conversation, even after five years of studying them. I think I'm probably at a one-to-one-and-a-half-year equivalent stage of Dutch already! If only the computer learning tools and resources had been available then!

One thing I've been wondering about. Can anyone describe their experiences of becoming able to think in other languages? Sort of when neushoorn stops simply being a codeword which means rhinocerous and actually summons up the image of the dier in your mind. Is the point when a whole sentence becomes meaningful by itself, without the need to translate it into your native language, a further stage or did the two come together at around the same time for you? Was there a lightbulb moment or was is a more gradual process?
It's a pretty gradual process, but the sooner you can suppress the urge to translate everything the better.

Anyway
Genoeg vragen! En een paar antwoorden!
Dank U wel