RSS RSS   Frequently Asked Questions FAQ   Kwebbelhoekje Chat   View the advanced search options Search   Register Register   Login Login   Exercise Exercise
  Change font size Print view It is currently April 21st, 2014, 10:35 am    

Dutch Radio Drama

Would you like to publish your own sound files? As a Dutch native speaker, you can create sound files to help Dutch learners. If you are studying Dutch, you can record your voice to practice your pronunciation -- and ideally, let the rest of us enjoy it too. :)

Dutch Radio Drama

Postby Dora » November 1st, 2006, 7:38 pm

Starring you!

A suggestion has been floating around :D that we record a radio drama for podcast. The idea is that a few of our brave learners will each take a part and record their lines. Then the recordings will be edited together, along with any needed music or sound effects, and we will have produced a play.

I don't have a script to suggest, but the ideal thing would be a play already in Dutch so we can get started right away! The next best thing would be a script in English that we can translate.

Otherwise, we will have to write our own. Then it would become a much bigger, long term project and I'm not sure the end result would be as good, but we'll see what happens.

If anyone writes plays (especially for "radio"), or knows someone who does, or can suggest something we can use let us know! Something short, for our first one. :)

Then we will have the technical details to work out, but there always seems to be people ready to volunteer to help with things here, so I'm confident that it will work out.
Dora
Superlid

Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English (United States)

Dutch Radio Drama

Sponsor

Do not like ads? Register for free and view this forum without ads.
Sponsor

Postby Bieneke » November 3rd, 2006, 3:12 pm

Great idea, Dora. :-D

I will await your orders (for the technical bits)!
Bieneke
Bieneke
Site Administrator

Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Postby Tom » November 3rd, 2006, 6:28 pm

Wat denken jullie van dit voorstel als ons erste sketch?
What do you think about this suggestion for our first sketch?

http://www.shrek.com/revoicestudio/Sc%E8nes_vlaams.pdf

http://shrek-lime.dreamworks.com/revoicestudio/

Het kan ons proefmodel worden.
It can be our test case.
Groetjes
Tom
Tom
Global moderator

Mother tongue: English

Postby Snoezig » November 3rd, 2006, 7:39 pm

Tom wrote:Wat denken jullie van dit voorstel als ons erste sketch?
What do you think about this suggestion for our first sketch?

http://www.shrek.com/revoicestudio/Sc%E8nes_vlaams.pdf

http://shrek-lime.dreamworks.com/revoicestudio/

Het kan ons proefmodel worden.
It can be our test case.

Sounds like a perfect test case, but... just want to make sure there aren't any (il)legal aspects to consider? :-?

Groetjes
snoezig
Snoezig
Editor & titelmoderator

Second language: German

Postby Tom » November 3rd, 2006, 7:49 pm

Well ...

We are not making a profit off of it.

We are not atempting to pass it off as our own work.

It is only a very tiny excerpt.

I think parodies are permitted.

Who but the people here would care to listen to us doing it?

Anyway, it would be in Flemish, so I am not sure that anyone at Dreamworks would even care.

But then I am no lawyer.
Groetjes
Tom
Tom
Global moderator

Postby Tom » November 3rd, 2006, 8:19 pm

Groetjes
Tom
Tom
Global moderator

Postby Dora » November 5th, 2006, 9:22 pm

Here is an update:

1. We have a suggested name for the show: The DutchGrammar Radio Hour
(even though it is not really on "radio" and probably won't be a whole hour). Alternative suggestions are welcome.

2. In addition to the main program, I'm thinking of having both funny commercials and DutchGrammar Rock (a parody of Grammar Rock).

3. I have some library books with radio plays. More on that later. For now, be warned that they are in English and we would have to translate them before we can start producing a show.

4. Tom has provided some links to short skits from Shrek that we can use for warm-up and auditions, so....

It's time to ask, "who wants to record their voice for this?" Many people like the idea, but who will actually volunteer?

Casting call

We need non-native speakers of both genders to record some lines in Dutch to become part of our show. You will need a microphone. We'll need people for other tasks as well, but we can't do it without some actors. No experience (acting or speaking Dutch) necessary. Instructions coming soon.
Dora
Superlid

Postby Tom » November 5th, 2006, 9:41 pm

Ik kan niet wachten :)
Groetjes
Tom
Tom
Global moderator

Postby Dora » November 5th, 2006, 10:39 pm

How to "audition":

1. Get the software described here
http://www.dutchgrammar.com/forum/viewt ... 20a900a554

2. Get a microphone.

3. Pick a part from the scene below.

4. Record your part

5. Here is the tricky part. You could send your recording to Bieneke, or post on esnips, or I don't know what. Somehow, we have to have a way to have your sample evaluated and if we get feedback, we can resubmit until we get it right! Also, having a native-speaker model might help some of us (like me) who don't have someone who can help and Acapela can only take us so far. Anything we can do to encourage beginners who may be nervous (like me).

Wat denken jullie?

This is from "Try a little tenderness":

DONKEY - Hey, Shrek, wait, wait! Hey, wait a minute. Look, you want to do this right, don't you?
EZEL - Hé, Shrek, wacht, wacht! Hé, wacht nou even. Je wilt dit toch goed doen?

SHREK - What are you talking about?
SHREK - Ezel, waar heb je het nu toch over?

DONKEY - There's a line. There's a line you gotta wait for. The priest is gonna say, "Speak now or forever hold your peace." And that's when you say, "I object!"
EZEL - Die zin. Je moet goed op die zin letten. De priester zal zeggen: “Spreek dan nu en zwijg voor eeuwig”. En dan moet jij zeggen: “Ik protesteer!”

SHREK - Oh. I don't have time for this.
SHREK - Oh, ik heb hier helemaal geen tijd voor.

DONKEY - Hey wait, wait. What are you doin'? Listen to me. Look, you love this woman, don't you?
EZEL - Hé, wacht, wacht. Wat ga je
doen? Luister nou effe. Je houdt van die vrouw? Ja toch?

SHREK - Yes.
SHREK - Ja.

DONKEY - You want to hold her?
EZEL - Wil je haar hebben?

SHREK - Yes.
SHREK - Ja.

DONKEY - Please her?
EZEL - Wil je haar houwen?

SHREK - Yes.
SHREK - Ja!

DONKEY - Then you... gotta, gotta try a little tenderness! The chicks love that romantic crap.
EZEL - Toon dan asje-asjeblieft een
beetje tederheid! Wijfies zijn gek op
die onzin.

SHREK - All right! Cut it out! When does this guy say the line?
SHREK - Oké, hou op! Wanneer zegt
die vent die ene zin dan?

DONKEY - We gotta check it out.
EZEL - Gaan we nu uitzoeken.
Dora
Superlid

Postby Dora » November 6th, 2006, 12:17 am

If the sample above seems too hard, just do part of it. And practice one sentence at a time, even if some lines have more than one.

There may be other software you can use to make an mp3. Use whatever works for you.

Now, for the main feature, I recommend Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë. I have a radio play adaptation in English and it might fit our format well. We should probably aim to do 1/3 of it, because the whole thing is intended to be about 30 minutes. We can always attempt the rest of it in the future.

It begins:

SOUND: Crackling of a great wood fire.
MANIAC (An unearthly, hysterical laugh): Ahhhhhhhhheeeeeahhhh!
MUSIC: Eerie theme, full for 30 seconds; then under.
SOUND: Doorbell. Then, door opening.
MRS. FAIRFAX: How do you do, my dear? You must be Miss Eyre, the new governess. Won't you come in?
SOUND: Door closing.
JANE (A young, wholesome girl): You're Mrs. Fairfax, I suppose.
MRS. FAIRFAX: Yes, Won't you sit down?
JANE: Thank you.
MRS FAIRFAX: My, but you're young! I'd no idea that Adele's governess would be a mere girl! Not that I underestimate your abilities--I'm sure you're very capable.
JANE: Shall I have the pleasure of meeting Miss Fairfax tonight?
MRS FAIRFAX: Miss Fairfax? Oh, you mean Miss Varens! Varens is the name of your future pupil.

The rest doesn't get too much harder. It is intended for high school or junior high students, so it's as simple as possible. Any thoughts? Other ideas?
Dora
Superlid

Postby Dora » November 6th, 2006, 2:46 am

Other things we need:

Someone has to write our commercial parodies. They can be as simple as "DutchGrammar Radio Hour is brought to you by Poedermelk Stroopwafels...."

Also, someone has to write the DutchGrammar Rock script (Bienke?) I'm not that familiar with Grammar Rock, so maybe Tom can advise.

Volunteers? :eek: Ideas?

Iedereen?
Dora
Superlid

Postby Snoezig » November 6th, 2006, 7:45 am

Dora wrote:Other things we need:

Someone has to write our commercial parodies. They can be as simple as "DutchGrammar Radio Hour is brought to you by Poedermelk Stroopwafels...."

Also, someone has to write the DutchGrammar Rock script (Bienke?) I'm not that familiar with Grammar Rock, so maybe Tom can advise.

Volunteers? :eek: Ideas?

Iedereen?

I hereby volunteer for silly commercials, oops, commercial parodies :D if some kind Nederlandstalige will volunteer to help with the translation??

Suggestions for products/product names (in addition to poedermelk stroopwaffels, natuurlijk) which no Dutch Grammar Radio Hour should fail to advertise are most welcome, of course.

Ummm...with regard to DutchGrammar Rock, what about a few "U u u's'" (ooh ooh ooh) and "Je je je's" (yeah yeah yeah)? :-D

Morgengroetjes
snoezig
Snoezig
Editor & titelmoderator

Postby Joke » November 6th, 2006, 1:20 pm

Hoi,
Of course I volunteer for any help that you might need!

Btw, what are poedermelk stroopwafels or is this supposed to be an non existing thing?

Joke
Joke
Native speaker & global moderator

Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Postby Snoezig » November 6th, 2006, 1:28 pm

Joke wrote:Hoi,
Of course I volunteer for any help that you might need!

Btw, what are poedermelk stroopwafels or is this supposed to be an non existing thing?

Joke

They don't exist yet... Here's what you need to know... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Prairie_Home_Companion

and specifically:
The show is "sponsored" by the fictitious product "Powdermilk Biscuits", whose slogan is "Made from whole wheat raised in the rich bottomlands of the Lake Wobegon river valley by Norwegian bachelor farmers; so you know they're not only good for you, but pure . . . mostly. Buy them ready-made in the big blue box with the picture of the biscuit on the cover, or in the brown bag with the dark stains that indicate freshness. Whole wheat that gives shy persons the strength to get up and do what needs to be done. Heavens they're tasty, and expeditious!" Powdermilk Biscuits has its own theme song, sung by Keillor every week.

snoezig :D
Snoezig
Editor & titelmoderator

DutchGrammar Rock Lied

Postby Tom » November 6th, 2006, 5:52 pm

I am already working on a song. I hope it will be ready before the end of the week.
Groetjes
Tom
Tom
Global moderator

Next

Return to Audio projects