Dutch Radio Drama

Would you like to publish your own sound files? As a Dutch native speaker, you can create sound files to help Dutch learners. If you are studying Dutch, you can record your voice to practice your pronunciation -- and ideally, let the rest of us enjoy it too. :)
Tom
Retired moderator
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English
Second language: Dutch (Flanders)

Post by Tom » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:40 am

Dora,

I have sent mp3 clips to Bien for the tryouts for Shrek. They are a first pass.

I need to know how you would prefer them. I suppose one person per line on an mp3 or one sentence per line per mp3.

How do you plan to edit them together. Do you plan to put use any background sounds? What editing or mixing capabilities do you have? What software do you use?

I suppose you plan to edit the pauses between character lines so the conversation sounds a bit more natural. In fact for theatrical performance the characters alternate lines more quickly than they would in real life (a trick to keep the audiences attention focused).

Let me know more details as you go. Sometimes in using the first pass materials to try develop the result you want reveals more insite as to the form of the raw material that will make the job of edititng and directing easier.
Groetjes
Tom

tspier2
Lid

Post by tspier2 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:12 pm

I think this is a great idea, however I will not be participating. I cannot write Dutch well, let alone speak it. :cry: I can still help in any aspects relating to technology though, as long as there is a version for Linux, because I've not used Windows in 2.5 years. 8)

Bieneke
Site Administrator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Post by Bieneke » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:17 pm

If anybody needs a test mp3 to rehearse his/her lines, let me know. I (or other native Dutch speakers) can record a few lines so that you can listen to your text over and over again ;-).

This way, even people without any knowledge of Dutch can participate.

P.S. Tspier, regarding your signature, please read: viewtopic.php?p=5516&highlight=#p5529 or viewtopic.php?f=18&t=755&p=5534#p5534.
Bieneke

Dora
Superlid
Mother tongue: English (United States)

Post by Dora » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:37 pm

Yes, we need all kinds of help.

speech coaches
We need some people to evaluate the recordings that the speakers (and singers?) make.

editors
We need someone to edit the pieces together. It might take more than one person.

translators
We need translators for the play we eventually do, and for any other material that originates in English.

actors
We need speakers! Again, no experience necessary. It's a good way to learn pronunciation, because you can record it over and over and nobody has to hear anything but your best!

We can still accept original material. Snoezig is in charge of "advertising" and Tom has written a song.

For the speaking submissions:
Ideally, we should have one mp3 per line. For my first attempt, I recorded each sentence, then combined them to make the line. I actually sent Bieneke two lines as one mp3, but I think next time I will make them separate. Also, we should probably post them externally for easy access for everyone.

Bieneke
Site Administrator

Post by Bieneke » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:42 pm

Dora wrote:Yes, we need all kinds of help.

speech coaches
We need some people to evaluate the recordings that the speakers (and singers?) make.
If the speakers and singers upload their files to eSnips (http://www.esnips.com), the native speakers on this forum can comment on the pronunciation. If you do not feel like exposing your first Dutch attempts to the whole world, you can upload the files in a group folder that can only be accessed by people who have your permission. I think you can make as many group folders as you like.
Dora wrote:editors
We need someone to edit the pieces together. It might take more than one person.
If the editing is done by different people, you will really have to co-ordinate the whole thing! For example, someone can edit a dialogue between two actors, another person can add some music somewhere, there will be someone who glues the separate bits together, etc. I think everyone will have to communicate with one person (Dora) about this. I don't mind doing some editing. As I said before, I will await your orders. ;-)
Dora wrote:translators
We need translators for the play we eventually do, and for any other material that originates in English.
The translations can probably be done by the advanced Dutch learners among you. :-) All of us vraagbaken will be happy to help, of course.
Dora wrote:actors
We need speakers! Again, no experience necessary. It's a good way to learn pronunciation, because you can record it over and over and nobody has to hear anything but your best!
I read in the kwebbelhoekje that Yessamaca is also interested in auditioning (from now on, people will think twice before writing anything in the kwebbelhoekje! :p).
Bieneke

yessamaca
Lid

Post by yessamaca » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:29 pm

Bieneke wrote:I read in the kwebbelhoekje that Yessamaca is also interested in auditioning (from now on, people will think twice before writing anything in the kwebbelhoekje! :p).
:lol: Yeah, yeah...I'm not scared! Sometimes you need someone to "call you out" to get yourself moving.

Dora
Superlid

Post by Dora » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:30 am

Yeah, yeah...I'm not scared! Sometimes you need someone to "call you out" to get yourself moving.
Okay, then, calling Yessamaca, heb je een microfoon?

Vicky
Superlid
Mother tongue: Kyrgyz
Second language: Russian
Third language: Dutch (Netherlands)
Fourth language: English (Great Britain)
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: een beetje Slowaaks

Post by Vicky » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:21 pm

I would love to speak too! I will buy a microphone this week if that's not late yet. Haven't got much time to think (read) yet how I should do that.

Cheers :-D

Bieneke
Site Administrator

Post by Bieneke » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:26 pm

Great. :-) I don't think it's too late yet. If you need any help with your microphone (how to use it/install it), I am sure there will be someone around to give you some (remote) assistance.
Bieneke

Dora
Superlid

Post by Dora » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:38 am

There's still time to audition. Just record some sample lines (see Shrek dialog above) and post them to esnips. Then send a message to Joke (who has volunteered to evaluate them) and let her know where to find them. Fix them if there are any problems. When you are happy with them, let me know where they are.

Tom was nice enough to record both parts. I am working on the Donkey. Whichever part you choose to do, we can edit a dialog together between you and someone in another part of the world! (If this works out.)

Hints for recording:
1. If a line is too long, try one sentence at a time. You can edit pieces together in Audacity. It will be easier for final editing if each line is its own mp3.
2. Relax. Nobody but you has to hear your first five takes with all those obvious mistakes. :) I found that sometimes I sound fine on the first try, and sometimes I have to repeat a simple 4-word sentence over and over.

Let's try to get all our finished samples in within a week. If anyone needs more time, let me know.

We can still use a couple more "actors" beyond the ones who have promised to participate at this time. There will probably be some "commercials" that we'll need a few voices for. An emcee would be nice. Who will sing Tom's song? Think we could divide it up and have more than one person singing?

And if anyone has any techincal problems getting going, let us know here and we will try to help.

Dora

kimoso
Waardevol lid

Post by kimoso » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:55 pm

weeellll maybe I would be interested... but... oh I don't know!!! I've never had a dutch person listening to my pronounciation and they'd probably say it was rubbish :eek: also i'm only 15 so my voice would probably sound... young.

But if you really need parts then I suppose... :eek:

Dora
Superlid

Post by Dora » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:19 pm

Hey, kimoso, why not just give it a try? The great thing about this is that it is such a controlled situation. You can record and practice for a while before you let others hear you. So if you listen to me I sound better than I would if I spoke spontaneously in a conversation.

Of course, if you ever want to have a real conversation in Dutch with a Dutch person, you'll be better off if you've practiced speaking!

Oh, I just realized that you are the person who started the 'ui' discussion recently. Perhaps this is your opportunity to get some feedback on your 'ui'. I know I'm looking forward to finding out how mine is.

Also, don't worry about sounding young. If we do Jane Eyre, she is supposed to be 19, so I'm afraid to do that part since I might sound too old. We can do whatever we want with the show, so maybe we can tailor it to fit the participants.

Anyone else? I'd like to get this rolling soon.

Joke
Retired moderator
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch (in progress...)

Post by Joke » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:44 am

Hallo acteurs,

I listened to three people doing parts of Shrek or donkey now and I must say that you're all doing fantastic!

I heard that some of you had some troubles with the 'melody' of the sentence, meaning: which word has to be stressed.
Therefore I recorded the conversation myself (both Shrek and Donkey) and uploaded it to eSnips. It might be a bit fast, but it is not meant for listening to individual words but for listening to the complete sentences. I know Tom found the original voices somewhere, but I can't find his links anymore.

Together with Tom's song and Snoezig's ads, I'm sure you will make a great show!

Groetjes Joke

PS. There is an error in the Dutch text. It should be: Spreek nu OF zwijg voor eeuwig (it says EN). The Flemish version is better for this sentence.

Tom
Retired moderator
Second language: Dutch (Flanders)

Post by Tom » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:46 pm

I posted the original Dutch and Flemish versions here. If you open them with windows media player you can slow them down.

http://www.esnips.com/web/My-Dutch-Stuff

Hope this helps too.
Groetjes
Tom

Dora
Superlid

Post by Dora » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:37 am

Here is an update.  The concept seems to work. You can hear a sample dialog here.

We still need a couple more participants, but I think we can go ahead with translation and at least do the play.  We can always add the other stuff to it later.  Please publish your recordings from Shrek or something equivalent.  You need to go through the process of making an mp3 and we want to hear what you sound like.  EetSmakelijk has already done the equivalent of an audition both speaking and singing in the latest podcast (good job btw :) ).

I'm thinking the final format will look something like:

Podcast intro by Bieneke
Radio Hour host introduces the show
first part of play
host says a few words to introduce the ads
a couple of ads
host says a few words before returning to the show
second part of play
host introduces DutchGrammar Rock
DutchGrammar Rock
host thanks listeners and says goodbye
Final words from Bieneke

We'll try to assign parts based on what people want to do and are able to do, while still sounding reasonable for the part (e.g. male/female roles).  Which reminds me, we need more male voices.

I will be a lot busier starting next month (ski season), so I could use some help with editing and everything.  Bienke, you may get this in pieces (some assembly required).

This is gonna be  8)  cool.