somebody help me with these sentences?

[woordvolgorde]
According to many, the word order is one of the hardest parts of the Dutch language. If you are also struggling with subordinate clauses, inversion and the like, this is the place to be.

somebody help me with these sentences?

Postby cherrybowl » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:12 pm

can somebody help me with the following sentences?

1. Mij CV en brief licht ik graag toe in een persoonlijk gesprek. ( I know that 'toelichten' is a seperable word, but why 'licht' goes first and 'toe' goes after 'ik graag'? )

2. Graag licht ik mijn CV in een persoonlijk gesprek toe. ( in the inverted form of this sentence, why 'toe' appears in the end of it?)

3. Hoe zit het trouwens met parkeermogelijkheden in de buurt van uw bedrijf? ( how to translate the bold part in english?)

4. Dus ik kan ervan uitgaan dat meneer Van den Ende mij morgen voor een sollicitatiegestprek uitnodigt? (again how to translate the bold part in english?)

hartelijk bedank!

groetje,
cherrybowl
ik ben aan het leren!
cherrybowl
Nieuwkomer

Re: somebody help me with these sentences?

Postby Quetzal » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:34 pm

cherrybowl wrote:can somebody help me with the following sentences?

1. Mij CV en brief licht ik graag toe in een persoonlijk gesprek. ( I know that 'toelichten' is a seperable word, but why 'licht' goes first and 'toe' goes after 'ik graag'? )

2. Graag licht ik mijn CV in een persoonlijk gesprek toe. ( in the inverted form of this sentence, why 'toe' appears in the end of it?)

3. Hoe zit het trouwens met parkeermogelijkheden in de buurt van uw bedrijf? ( how to translate the bold part in english?)

4. Dus ik kan ervan uitgaan dat meneer Van den Ende mij morgen voor een sollicitatiegestprek uitnodigt? (again how to translate the bold part in english?)

hartelijk bedank!

groetje,
cherrybowl

1. Yeah. Separable verb... read http://www.dutchgrammar.com/en/?n=WordOrder.25 and the successive pages about separable verbs.

2. Idem.

3. "By the way, how are the...", or "By the way, what about the..."

4. "So I can depend on it that..." or "So I can count on being invited..."
Quetzal
Native speaker & global moderator

Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Postby zoet » Fri May 11, 2007 12:42 pm

Hey guys
I am new to learning Dutch. I'm virtually teraching myself with books and films. Dutch word order really confuses me. Just need to know I am on the right track here...

in the "a funny word 'er'" section on this site it has the sentence "I'll see you there tomorrow". translated in to dutch it should be "ik wil morgen er je zien".... is this word order correct?
zoet

Postby Bieneke » Fri May 11, 2007 4:05 pm

in the "a funny word 'er'" section on this site it has the sentence "I'll see you there tomorrow". translated in to dutch it should be "ik wil morgen er je zien".... is this word order correct?

The correct translation would be:

"Ik zie je er morgen" (for the future tense, we usually use the present tense conjugation if we mention the point in time -'morgen' in this case- that the event will take place)

The future tense would have been: "Ik zal je er morgen zien."

We place 'er' before the adverb of time ('morgen'). If you look at the image on http://www.dutchgrammar.com/en/wordorder/1b.html, 'er' is part of 'EHD'.

It is also possible to place 'morgen' at the beginning of the sentence:

"Morgen zie ik je er"
"Morgen zal ik je er zien"

The word order is the same but because the sentence does not begin with the subject (ik), the subject and finite verb ('zie' in the first example, 'zal' in the second) switch places ('inversion').

Groetjes,
Bieneke
Bieneke
Bieneke
Site Administrator

Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Return to Word order