Dutch lesson

Would you like to publish your own sound files? As a Dutch native speaker, you can create sound files to help Dutch learners. If you are studying Dutch, you can record your voice to practice your pronunciation -- and ideally, let the rest of us enjoy it too. :)
Joke
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch (in progress...)

Post by Joke » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:00 pm

:-D
Ik ben blij dat je het zo leuk vindt! Digitale omhelzingen, daar doe ik het allemaal voor :P
Jammer van mevrouw Janssen. Ik zal in de volgende lessen zorgen dat ze niet in de weg zit.
Werkt de rest wel goed?

Joke

PS. Ik heb vandaag wat extra oefeningenonline gezet voor les 1-5.
Les 6 is nog in een heel beginnend stadium...

Janeera
Waardevol lid

Post by Janeera » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:55 pm

Het spijt me voor de Amerikaanse Engels, maar ik heb enkele beetje tijd. (I'm sorry for the American English, but I only have a little time.)

I'm so pleased to hear you are continuing your efforts to make these lessons Joke!  The problems I have with the downloads are only minor bugs I think.

One lesson where we are supposed to conjugate the verb showed up with the questions and answers on top of each other (all at the same time), so it was impossible for me to read.  (But I'm not so good at conjugating yet, so I was happy to skip it.)  :D

I think all the sound files worked.  They are uitstekend!

Some of your graphics make me laugh.  They are so cute!

More hugs from,
Janeera
Alleen mensen die niets doen maken geen fouten.             Ome Jorge

Joke
Retired moderator

Post by Joke » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:41 pm

Hoi Janeera,

I think the problem is that you are using an older version of powerpoint. I made the lessons in Powerpoint 2003. There might be some animations that do not work in older versions. Do the graphics in the listen section animate (move, become transparant when not talking, blink, appear and disappear)?
Maybe you can try the powerpoint viewer that Bieneke mentioned earlier in this topic.

I especially love the pigs :P

Groetjes
Joke

Janeera
Waardevol lid

Post by Janeera » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:43 pm

My computer DOES have the 2003 PowerPoint Viewer, and I assumed that your lessons were using that when I downloaded and "opened" them.  Maar ik geloofde verkeerd.  This time I downloaded the lessons to a file, opened the viewer FIRST, then found the proper lesson and opened it --- and everything works!  (except the Control+P for the pen -- now my computer wants to print something -- but that is no problem because the exercise was short and I could just do it in my head)

I had to lol when all those extra konijnen started hopping onto the screen!  That part did not work gisteren.   :D
Alleen mensen die niets doen maken geen fouten.             Ome Jorge

Joke
Retired moderator

Post by Joke » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:49 pm

Hoi,
I'm still working on lesson 6, but in the meantime I made more exercises on lesson 1-5 and I uploaded the answers to the first series of extra exercises.
You can find them here.
I'll try to finish lesson 6 next weekend.

Joke

Joke
Retired moderator

Post by Joke » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:14 pm

Sorry, het is ondertussen alweer twee weekenden later dan ik in de vorige post beloofd had, maar hier is ie dan: Les 6.
Joke

Joke
Retired moderator

Post by Joke » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:25 pm

Jullie hebben er lang op moeten wachten, maar hier is dan toch eindelijk les 7!
Groetjes Joke

Joke
Retired moderator

Post by Joke » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:52 pm

I finally finished lesson 8.
Enjoy!

Joke

Shazzy
Superlid
Country of residence: United Kingdom
Mother tongue: English
Second language: Dutch

Re: Dutch lesson

Post by Shazzy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:58 am

Hi Joke
I have just found this area of the forum and thought this would be interesting. I heard your voice on one of the audio files and you sound so Dutch lol and very young lol I could not catch much of it as it was so fast lol

I tried to click on your first Dutch lesson here but it does not seem to work. Am I doing something wrong?

Do I understand it right that we can upload files of us speaking Dutch and you will comment on what you think of it? Help.... I have just ordered a voice recorder which does mp3 format so once it arrives I will upload a little about me and see what you think..... :D

Shazzy

Bert
Superlid
Mother tongue: Hungarian

Post by Bert » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:30 pm

Shazzy wrote:Hi Joke
I heard your voice on one of the audio files and you sound so Dutch...

Shazzy
O Shazzy, you make me so curious but unfortunately I can't hear anything (I use Ubuntu by the way).
I listen to original Dutch news every day (usually 3 times per day) so I could tell you whether her Dutch falls into the "normal range" or not. :D

Shazzy
Superlid

Post by Shazzy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:57 pm

Hoi Bert
lol. Mijn Moeder was Nederlands en ik heb veel Nederlands familie. Ik vind de Nederlandse accent (not sure of the dutch word for that ) heel leuk. Some Dutch people sound more broad than others lol I wonder where Joke comes from?

Have you done any of Joke's lessons as I can't seem to get them to work. It could be aol..... I tried via Internet explorer but it wants me to sign in to Google I think but I don't know why?

I only found this section today and would love to have a go at working through Jokes lessons but it seems she wrote them a long time ago so not sure how many there are by now. This forum just gets better and better every day..... Have you ever uploaded your voice on here at all? I have just ordered a voice recorder once I have it I will up load some bits of work for prouncation practice. I wonder what people will think of my Dutch accent lol :D

Shazzy x

Shazzy
Superlid

Post by Shazzy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:10 pm

Joke
Are you lessons still available as I would love to work through them but I just can't seem to access them can you help please?

Bedankt
Groetjes

Shazzy :D

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Post by Quetzal » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:01 am

Wow, a voice recorder... I think most of us just did our recordings with Audacity (or some other software) and the built-in microphones in our computers or webcams. :P Which does sometimes result in not very good quality recordings, it must be said.

And downloading those files should still work, but it may require making an account on esnips.

Bert
Superlid
Mother tongue: Hungarian

Post by Bert » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:56 pm

@Shazzy
"I wonder where Joke comes from?" Probably from Randstad but definitely not from the southern provinces (Noord-Brabant, Limburg). I hope you haven't ousted Joke with your oversized request ("Do I understand it right that we can upload files of us speaking Dutch and you will comment on what you think of it?"). :P
I was able to listen to ngonyama's mp3 soundtracks, and I can assure you his Dutch is impeccable (however, you should know he speaks deliberately slowly and clearly on these recordings). I remember watching Journaal 24 (NOS) once and - believe it or not - a Dutch farmer's speech was subtitled. :) Football coaches are sometimes also difficult to understand.
I'm quite satisfied with my current Dutch pronunciation but there's still plenty of room for improvement. So I'm not planning to upload my voice. :D
I listen to RNW (Radio Nederland Wereldomroep) on short wave and sometimes I also do recordings using a classic audio tape (old-fashioned, isn't it? :)). Here is an example sentence I recorded: "Ik geloof dat de grootste winnaar heel onverwacht een linkse politieke partij bleek te zijn." [Actually, the lady says "links politieke partij".] Now you can do a lesson for yourself like this:
verbs: geloven (geloofde/geloofden, h. geloofd), blijken (bleek/bleken, is gebleken), zijn (was/waren, is geweest)
nouns: de winnaar (plural: winnaars), de partij (plural: partijen)
adjectives: groot/grote [superlative: grootst(e)], links(e), politiek(e)
adverbs: heel, onverwacht
Some mobile phones are also able to record your voice (mine can do it up to 60 sec). I hope you checked it first before you decided to buy a voice recorder. :)

Joke
Retired moderator

Post by Joke » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:20 pm

Today I spend most of my day in the garden instead of behind my computer. Not because Shazzy scared me away, but just because the weather was so lovely. So apologies for the late reply.

I'm from the south of Gelderland, actually only 5 km from the border with Noord-Brabant and definitely not from the Randstad, so Berts guess was a bit off ;) I have a rather southern g, but I don't speak the dialect of our region.

If I sound young on the recordings, it's probably because I was about 25 years old when I made them and if I sound Dutch, it might be because I'm from the Netherlands...

I didn't look at esnips for years and I see that a lot has changed since the last time I uploaded a lesson. They removed my introductions and explanation. If I click on a lesson it says 'Sorry, we are unable to generate a view of the document at this time. Please try again later. You can also try to download the original document by clicking here.'
If I then click on 'here', it's downloads the lesson.
Let me know if that works. If not, I can try to upload the lessons in this topic.
They work best in Powerpoint 2003, because that's the version I used for creating them. In older versions, some of the animations don't work and some texts overlap each other. I think Powerpoint 2007 works too, but it might look a bit different.

If you upload your own recordings, we can commend on them if you want, as long as it's not too much.

Joke