Member Requested Words

Would you like to publish your own sound files? As a Dutch native speaker, you can create sound files to help Dutch learners. If you are studying Dutch, you can record your voice to practice your pronunciation -- and ideally, let the rest of us enjoy it too. :)
Janeera
Waardevol lid

Member Requested Words

Post by Janeera » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:57 pm

I was wondering if we could start a topic where non-native speakers could request native speakers to make sound files of specific words.  Misschien this could be a regular feature for podcasts that don't already have a vocabulary list -- or perhaps an expert volunteer would be willing to make an esnips posting once in a while as words pile up.....

The reason I suggest this is that I can now *read* a lot of nederlands woorden -- but have no earthly idea how to properly pronounce them.  If you native speakers could hear the way they sound in my brain you would be rolling all over the floor aan het lachen!!   :lol:

So, if you are a non-native and want to hear certain words, just list them under this topic and we'll see which wonderful, hulpvaardig native-speakers will help us out......

Een paar woorden ik wil graag te horen:

geeuwen = to yawn
geheugen = memory
hachelijke = precarious
hotemetoot = big, important, hotshot
humoristische = humorous
indrukwekkend = impressive
koeioneren = to bully
noodmaatregelen = emergency measures

(Note to native-speaking volunteers: If you could say the word,  give it's meaning, and maybe even spell it, that would be uitstekend !    And while you are at it, please correct any mistakes I have made.  :) )
Alleen mensen die niets doen maken geen fouten.             Ome Jorge

EetSmakelijk
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English (Canada)
Second language: French
Third language: Dutch

Post by EetSmakelijk » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:50 pm

Fantastisch idee! :D
I'd like to hear the phoenetic alphabet in Dutch, you know a as in, b as in, enzovoort, I know the english ones and would be happy to record those if a Dutch speaker wants to hear the english ones...
Janneera, you should hear my computer speech synthesizer trying to pronounce Dutch words. :P
My favourite I think is the ij sound, it thinks it's like the sound in bridge. :D/
I also love the way it says the interjection oei! but that's hard to type phoenetically.
I'd like to hear some words like logisch, fantastisch, all those isch words. Also some with e on the end like hmmm, logische taal or something, can't think of a good example. :P
I also like to hear words that end in -tie like informatie, conversatie, enzovoort.
I have trouble with knowing where the stress is on words like that and don't even get me started on how I confuse them with French words that don't sound quite the same but...
I like the idea of the person spelling the words, it's nice to hear letters too and get used to listening to them.
Sorry voor de lange post!!!
Groetjes,
ES, S'je, Saartje, of EetSmakelijk
:P
Mijn Esnips account is:
http://www.esnips.com/web/EetSmakelijksDutchStuff

Snoezig
Editor & titelmoderator
Mother tongue: English
Second language: German

Post by Snoezig » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:51 pm

Echt fantastisch! Ik heb ook een woordenlijstje...

:D

Bieneke
Site Administrator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Post by Bieneke » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:55 pm

Goed idee!

De volgende podcast: 8 april.

If you have any requests or good ideas for the podcast, shoot! Laat maar zien, die lijst, Snoezig. :-)

Perhaps you would like to write a short story, poem, or dialogue (between 5 and 8 minutes) for the podcast? You do not need to record it yourself or even translate it into Dutch. The input of our Dutch learners would be really helpful in that it guides into the right direction (of what you would like to hear). For example, if you would like to know what a phone call to the helpdesk of the local phone company sounds like in Dutch, you could write it out in English and we will do the rest. :-)

Groetjes,
Bieneke
Bieneke

Snoezig
Editor & titelmoderator
Second language: German

Post by Snoezig » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:07 pm

(Ik kan een lijst met heel veel G's aanbieden)  :D

Groetjes,

snoezig

EetSmakelijk
Retired moderator

Post by EetSmakelijk » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:09 pm

I like the idea of a phone call. We could practice our telephone etiquette and also the phoenetic alphabet. :P
Hmmm, I wonder what difficult stuff I can cook up for you native speakers. wicked smile
Groetjes,
Mijn Esnips account is:

Jeff
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: United States

Post by Jeff » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:14 pm

Lol, I'd think they could cook up difficult stuff for us :) My tounge still hasn't recovered... :-P  :roll:

EetSmakelijk
Retired moderator

Post by EetSmakelijk » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:33 am

Well, they sure cook up surprises for me.
There was a word I wanted to hear pronounced, but first I needed to learn to spell it so I could ask. :P
The word is "teleurstellen" to disappoint. I looked it up and to my total :shock: the darn verb is another one of those separable ones.
Stel mij niet teleur!
I don't know why each one of thoseprefixes surprises me, but they still do. Just the other week I was trying to find all the words that could be prefixes, should I maybe just stop counting? I will be very teleurgesteld (disappointed) when I find the last one and don't get anymore cool surprises. :P
I'd still like to hear this word pronounced, with the prefix on it and also with it separated.
Groetjes van a very not disappointed Canadian,
Mijn Esnips account is:

Janeera
Waardevol lid

Post by Janeera » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:08 pm

Oh oh -- I saw where EetSmakelijk posted in another thread about accidently saying the G sound when a word starts with H.  It appears I have a similar problem when a K follows a G in a word.  No matter how careful I am, the silly K turns into a G sound almost every time!  So I would like to request a few more words on the vocabulary list please.

*  gelukkig = happy
*  geluksvogel = lucky person
*  gemakkelijk = easy

Perhaps whoever records these would be very, very, very nice and include one slow-motion pronounciation along with a normal-speed version........

Bedankt!

Janeera

Ome Jorge
Superlid
Third language: Spanish

Op verzoek woorden

Post by Ome Jorge » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:37 pm

Hallo allemaal,

Op jullie verzoek ben ik even achter de microfoon gekropen. Let niet op de uitspraak van geeuwen, want die is niet netjes.  :D

On your request I took place behind the microphone. Don't mind the pronouniation of geeuwen, because it is not the way it should be. See the Polderdutch discussion elsewhere on this forum. Hahaha :mrgreen:

Het geluidsbestand is hier te vinden: http://www.esnips.com/doc/2f144796-35b2 ... 0/woorden1

De bijbehorende tekst is hier te vinden: http://www.esnips.com/doc/4abcf4e3-7a73 ... 2/woorden1

Eerst natuurlijk de tekst luisteren en proberen te horen wat er gezegd wordt, en daarna pas de tekst meelezen.  :P

Groeten,

OJ

De bestanden staan in mijn Esnips map in de bestanden woorden1.mp3 en woorden1.txt.

Janeera
Waardevol lid

Post by Janeera » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:49 pm

Ik vind je aardig Ome Jorge -- een prins, hoor!  Bedankt!

Janeera

Dora
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English (United States)

Post by Dora » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:46 pm

Dank je wel, Ome Jorge!

A good exercise would be: study the wordlist, listen to the sentences, try to recognize the words in the sentences, then try to figure out what the sentences mean.  If only we could get this into the podcast. ;)

Ome Jorge
Superlid

Post by Ome Jorge » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:07 pm

Gelukkig dat de opname ongeveer is wat jullie ervan verwachten. Als jullie nog vertalingen in willen zenden dan kan dat natuurlijk altijd via een persoonlijk bericht.
Extra: Er staat een fout in het tekstbestand. Wat is er fout?

I am glad the recording is about what you expected. If you would like to send me your translation, feel free to send me a personal message.
Extra: There is an error in the text file. What is wrong?

Groeten,

OJ

Ome Jorge
Superlid

Post by Ome Jorge » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:43 pm

Hallo allemaal,

Ik ben maar weer eens achter de microfoon gekropen en heb iets opgenomen. Je kunt op mijn esnips een geluidsbestand en een tekstbestand vinden.

In het tekstbestand staat een woordenlijst, een aantal vragen, de uitgeschreven tekst en de antwoorden op de vragen.

Veel plezier.

Hi all,

Again I took place behind the microphone and recorded something. You can find audio and text on my esnips account.

In the textfile is a word list, a number of questions, the written text and the answers to the questions.

Have fun.

OJ

Tekstbestand: http://www.esnips.com/doc/1eacf330-d5f9 ... entewinkel
Geluidsbestand:http://www.esnips.com/doc/92d966c0-752c ... entewinkel

agata
Lid
Country of residence: Poland
Mother tongue: Polish

Post by agata » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:31 am

Yeah yeah ! Great idea! Very helpful and useful. Thanks a lot :)