HELP - Personal matter (Police letter to be translated)

If you have any comments, suggestions, or questions about the forum or any other pages on www.dutchgrammar.com, you can post them here.
SirDlrme
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: French
Second language: English
Third language: Russian

HELP - Personal matter (Police letter to be translated)

Post by SirDlrme » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:37 pm

Good afternoon everybody,

First of all I would to apologize if I have posting this in the wrong and if you can even help me.
I have tried many different sites and forums but haven't had any answers.
I hope you will be able to help me. Thank you in advance for you time and understanding.

I am a student from France, staying 6 months in Deventer for my studies, and arrived there on the 25th of August in the evening, then in the morning I went to the convenience store (Action) to buy the basic supplies.
When I got back out, I got a parking ticket because I didn't pay, and I sincerely didn't know, I never knew you could pay for a shop's parking...

So I asked for help to a friend of mine and he wrote this for me, because I thought it would be better if the letter was in dutch rather than in english :

"Geachte mevrouw, heer,

Ik studeer op Saxion, Deventer, ik kom oorspronkelijk uit Frankrijk.
Op 25 augustus 2017 arriveerde ik in Nederland. Op zaterdag 26 augustus heb ik geparkeerd bij de Action, Rijsterborgherweg 9, 7412 VA Deventer om hier boodschappen te doen die ik nodig had om in Deventer te leven. Ik had niet door dat ik hier parkeergeld moest betalen.
De bekeuring bedroeg € 62,11.
Op dit moment spreek ik de Nederlandse taal nog niet, wat in het begin lastig is met communiceren.
Ik hoop dat u begrip heeft voor mijn situatie zodat u mijn bekeuring kwijtscheld.
"

So I sent it to the city's Police and got this as an answer :

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/9736/ygOGvO.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/4190/Bk9REi.jpg

With the basics I know, I just understood that they basically told me to f... off...

What do I even have to do ? How does it even work ?

I actually don't understand dutch at all so, some help would be most welcome !

Thank you so much in advance, I hope you will be able to help me.

Best regards,

Nicolas D.

BrutallyFrank
Global moderator
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Third language: German
Fourth language: French

Re: HELP - Personal matter (Police letter to be translated)

Post by BrutallyFrank » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:02 am

I checked the place with Google Maps and it shows this sign (https://images.informatiebord.nl/imgfil ... 111(6).png) at the entrance of the little square where you parked. That means you have to pay when you park there. The letter you got basically states the same: parking on the street (this was not a private parking) must be paid. They dismiss your objection, but don't clearly state why. They say that you should've checked thoroughly if you had to pay or not and refer to the signs and parking ticket vending machine.

You can appeal that decision, but ...
1. You can only appeal the dismissal, not the fact of wrong parking
2. You'll have to pay for the appeal (it will go to court and the cost of the clerk of the court has to be paid)
3. If you can get them to accept your objection, you'd probably have to appeal again against the wrong parking. I doubt that you have a good chance: France has a similar sign (e4b Parc de stationnement payant, quelque soit le mode de paiement). That wouldn't require any knowledge of the Dutch language ...

My advice would be: pay the fine and get it over with. This can drag a long time and the chance of winning is very small. And it will cost you a lot more in time, energy and money ...
"Moenie worrie nie, alles sal reg kom" (maar hy het nie gesê wanneer nie!)

SirDlrme
Nieuwkomer
Mother tongue: French
Third language: Russian

Re: HELP - Personal matter (Police letter to be translated)

Post by SirDlrme » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:24 pm

Good morning BrutallyFrank and thank you for your answer.

Of course, now I know that it is mandatory to pay for ticket almost everywhere here in the Netherlands and I can understand signs,
but I litterally have never seen a shop's parking which isn't free, and sincerely I didn't even cross my mind that I'de have to pay...

How do I even pay ? :lol: It's not clearly written on the ticket itself and also, can they even go after me for this ? Will the price go up if I don't pay now ?

Anyway, thank you again for your help, I thought I was lost with this (still kinda lost lol)...

Cheers

Nicolas